Thursday, October 22, 2009

I survived ARTrails!


In fact, I'd say I rocked it! Being a new artist in the catalog this year, I figured I'd get a decent share of interested visitors. I didn't expect sales to be so great in this economy. I had a steady stream of cars (with only a handful of drive-bys; what's up with that?) and customers were genuinely engaged and so complimentary.

One of the aspects of ARTrails is that it's an educational venue. So often at shows I find myself explaining over and over how I create my art. Many people assume I'm painting on clear glass. The concept of stringers and frit and inclusions are foreign to most, so seeing the step-by-step process is the key to understanding.

The beauty of setting up at home, aside from the obvious convenience, is that I had enough room for my sales display and everyone got to see my tools, various forms of glass and other materials I use, the kilns and even the 30 new solar panels we've installed to run them.

Before putting everything away, I took some photos of my step-by-step examples. I think I'll create a photo collage or small album to take with me to future shows.

I'd like to extend a very big thank you to everyone who came out and welcomed me to the program!


No comments: