Monday, May 18, 2009

Making my own glass!


I took a class in Portland, Oregon last year where the primary focus was working with glass powders. I have dozens of jars of Bullseye powders that I've never even opened so it was a good opportunity for me to learn a new technique and start to use my supplies. (For those of you who don't know the story, my darling David flew to Phoenix several years ago to pack up and drive an entire glass store's inventory 14 hours home!)

So I came home last year with all sorts of wonderful ideas about how I'd finally be able to incorporate my love of letter forms and calligraphy into my art, and then as we all know, life gets in the way. It always seems like I'll have plenty of time for R&D during my "off" season between shows but my experience has been that there's always something to eat up that time. I packed my box of sample tiles away and continued making art for shows and galleries.

When I did my big studio sweep last month, I came across that box and (as usually happens when I'm cleaning!) spread out all the pieces, which inspired me to squeeze in some play time.

I've been having a blast sifting, sprinkling, spreading and scribbling with powders. The possibilities are endless and it's such an incredible freedom to make my own, custom, I'm-the-only-one-who-has-it glass! It also soothes my impatient soul because since these are single layer pieces, they fuse more quickly than completed art.

I'm quickly amassing a palette of textures and designs to incorporate into my layouts. It feels like a nice step forward into making art that's even more a part of me.

2 comments:

Ali Drew said...

Those are really cool. Do you plan to first fuse the design then incorporate into larger pieces? I love your color choices.

Valerie Adams said...

Exactly. I pre-fuse single layered clear glass and then use them as the mood strikes later on.